's largest and most magnificent railway station
was built in the early 20th century by the German
architects Otto Ritter
and Helmuth Cuno
. A monument to the close Turkish
relations of the time, the station is in neo-renaissance style and has a U-plan. The inauguration ceremony took place on 19 August 1908, just after the proclamation of the Second Constitution.
The façade is revested in textured sandstone, and the main façade overlooking Kadikoy
Bay rests on a foundation of 1100 timber piles. The steep pitched roof is slated, and the interior is decorated with trailing foliage cartouches and garlands, and stained glass window. The ceiling of the circular room at the base of the southeast tower has ribbed vaults, and the upper landings have groin vaults. Flights of marble steps lead up from the quay to the monumental façade flanked by circular turrets with conical roofs, clock tower rising in the form of a crest at the centre, baroque decoration, balconies, moulded cornices, and pilasters.